Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rich Rodriguez vs Mike Martz

The word out of U of M training camp is of course the noticeable differences in the offensive sets from Lloyd Carr to Rich Rodriguez. Rodriguez has empty backfields, two tailbacks in the backfield, running backs lining up as receivers and receivers lining up as running backs. It all sounds very fun and exciting given Michigan's past monotonous ground and pound offense. However, I just can't help but worry that this will all end much like the fate of Mike Martz's tenure in Detroit.

As a life long Michigan fan, I hope this of course turns out better then the Mike Martz era in Detroit. And I know Rodriguez has proven himself at multiple schools and has more of a commitment to the run then that of Martz....but it just all sounds too similar to the excitement that Martz generated when he rode into town his first year as a Lion and I am keeping my hopes low for the moment.

The one thing I do know is that U of M's new offense will be tested in Week 1 against a team that is no joke in the Utah Utes.

No comments: